Saturday, November 22, 2008

At Last! Wireless that Works!

I've been somewhat anti-wireless for sometime. The idea of cramming a speaker, an amplifier, power for the amplifier, and an RF receiver into a small box and expecting to be able to deliver good quality sound is pretty far fetched. To my knowledge, there still does not exist a suitable solution to the home theater application. I was, however, recently introduced to the SoundCast OutCast.

This thing is unbelievable. You would never guess that the sound produced by the OutCast is from a wireless signal. It advertises that it will connect your MP3 player, IPod, computer and even your TV, which leads me to believe that it would be just as easy to connect it to the Zone 2 pre-outs on your home theater receiver with a simple adapter. Very cool. If any of you have used it, I'd love to hear your take on it. You can expect to spend approx. $700 for the OutCast and the transmitter. Not bad for a great sounding, portable, indoor/outdoor wireless speaker system.

No comments: